Treating Imbalance with Ayurvedic Therapies
Our natural state is one of health, well-being and happiness. As our body has an innate ability to heal itself and is always moving in the direction of a balanced state, Ayurveda’s focus is on removing obstacles to wellness and strengthening the body’s healing capacity.
Ayurveda works on healing the root cause of disease rather than simply treating the symptoms. Since doshic imbalance is the root of all disease, Ayurvedic treatment involves the balancing of the doshas. The principle of “like increases like and opposites balance” explains not only how we become imbalanced, but also how imbalance is treated. Disease is treated by taking in those opposite, balancing qualities using any or all of the therapies listed below. Since each person is treated as a unique individual with specific needs, what can create wellness for one person can create imbalance in another.
Ayurveda uses the following therapies to cultivate health and well-being:
- Diet ~ Food is medicine! What we eat and how we eat has a profound impact on our health. Since food is our primary daily source of fuel and “medicine,” altering a person’s diet alone can be life-changing. Since each person is unique, the type of foods that create balance for one person may cause imbalance in another. Therefore, atDakini Ayurveda you’ll receive a comprehensive food program and recipes designed specifically for your needs. With proper nutrition we support our body’s innate healing capacity. Without appropriate nutrition we create obstacles to our body’s inherent self-healing nature.
- Lifestyle ~ Our daily habits also have specific qualities and can therefore create obstacles to wellness. For example, irregular routines and skipping meals can increase Vata while lack of exercise or too much sleep can aggravate Kapha. Your practitioner at Dakini Ayurveda helps you to identify and replace non-supportive habits with profoundly nurturing daily routines, appropriate for your specific needs.
- Herbs ~ Customized herbal formulas are created by your practitioner to heal the root cause of disease and alleviate symptoms. All medicinal herbal formulas are created for your specific needs and greatly support the healing process in the body, mind and consciousness.
- Meditation, Yoga & Pranayam ~ The mind and subtle body are the foundations of the physical body, and meditation, yoga and pranayam are some of the most powerful practices for cultivating healing and alignment of the mind, body and spirit.
- Color Therapy, Aromatherapy & Sound Therapy ~ By using the senses of sight, smell and sound we are able to take in the qualities that are most balancing for our specific condition.
- Body Therapies ~ Ayurvedic massage (abhyanga) and the many other body therapies offered at Dakini Ayurveda have the purpose of bringing the body and mind to a state of profound relaxation so that deep healing can take place.
- Panchakarma ~ This is the process of deep and concentrated cleansing and rejuvenation of the body, mind and consciousness. The practice takes place over a designated period of time through a program designed specifically for your needs.